8 Types of Immigration Forms & Support

8 Types of Immigration Forms & Support

Picture of Connie Kaplan
Connie Kaplan

Figuring out a host of immigration forms intended for different purposes is no easy task. Navigating your way through them and understanding the one you need for your case can be tricky. There are immigration and support forms required, whether you wish to apply for citizenship, work in the United States, or sponsor a loved ones.

Here is a quick list of the most common immigration forms. Explore these forms to learn more about them.

To verify the identity and employment authorization

Form: Employment eligibility verification

All employers need to ensure proper completion of this form for every individual hired to work in the U.S. This applies to both citizens and non-citizens. If the individual is lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. the employer keeps a record of these forms on file. An employee must show original identification documentation or receipts for replacement documents. This must happen within three days of their new employment; otherwise, they can be terminated.

To certify appropriate sponsorship

Form:Affidavit of Support

The petitioning sponsor of the applicant needs this form to show visa applicants have appropriate sponsorship and will not become public charges. This means they won’t be dependent on the government for living expenses while in the U.S. The sponsor must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.

For alien workers to become permanent residents

Form:Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker

Employers fill out this form within 180 days after the Labor Certification approval. EB-1 workers with extraordinary abilities include an important professor, researcher, multinational executive, or a manager.

To apply for permanent residence in the United States

Form: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

One needs a permanent resident card or a green card to attain citizenship in the United States. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service runs background checks on all applicants. The applicants need to stay in the U.S. until their permanent residence application is accepted or rejected. When the applicant’s residency application is under review, they may can for Advance Parole to travel outside the U.S. or for Employment Authorization Documents to start work.

To report the results of a medical examination to USCIS

Form: Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record

All applicants filing for lawful permanent residents need to have this form completed by a designated civil surgeon and submit it to the authorities at USCIS. This form is to guarantee an applicant is not inadmissible to the U.S. on the grounds of public health concerns.

To file for employment authorization

Form: Application for employment authorization

This form is to obtain a work permit in the United States, which allows the application to work here for a certain time period. Applicants already allowed to work in the U.S. can also fill and submit this form to apply for documented evidence of the authorization.

For permanent residents who wish to apply for US citizenship

Form: Application for naturalization

To file the application for naturalization, the permanent resident needs to have steadily lived in the U.S. for five years. The applicant could have lived in the state or within an USCIS district for at least 3 months. They also need to read/write and speak English and understand U.S. history and government. Once the permanent residents meet all these requirements, they can file for naturalization. Applicants also have to appear for an interview and take a Naturalization Test.

To replace a lost, stolen, damaged or expired permanent resident card

Application to replace permanent resident card

This application is to replace a lost, stolen, damaged, or expired permanent resident card. The applicant’s permanent resident status is not affected if the applicant does not promptly apply for a replacement, but it is best to file for a replacement quickly to halt fraudulent activities, especially if the card was stolen. If the application is qualified, the applicant can apply for a citizenship in place of a green card renewal. If you are a conditional resident and your status has expired, you should not use this form.

It is important to sift through the forms, complete the right one and submit it to USCIS. It is always a good idea to seek a professional to help make the process less cumbersome.  It makes a big difference if you’re choosing the appropriate form from the many available and you become overwhelmed.

More from Immigration Reform

Contact Us Today

No matter where you are, we can help!

Meet with us at the office or from the comfort of your home, through an online Strategy Session. We serve clients across the U.S. and from over 36 countries.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content