Sponsoring a Spouse for a Green Card




Sponsoring a Spouse for a Green Card: What You Need to Know

Sponsoring a Spouse for a Green Card: What You Need to Know

Picture of Connie Kaplan
Connie Kaplan
Sponsoring a Spouse for a Green Card

Sponsoring a spouse is something you consider when you are a a U.S. citizen or a Green Card holder married to a foreign national. This is a significant step towards building a life together in the United States, but it’s crucial to understand the intricacies involved. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the key aspects of eligibility, the application process, and the required documentation to help you make informed decisions.

Eligibility Criteria

Before diving into the application process, it’s essential to determine whether you and your spouse meet the eligibility criteria. Here are some key points to consider:

  • Status of the Sponsoring Spouse: You must be either a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder).
  • Marital Status: You must be legally married. Common-law marriages may not be recognized unless they are valid in the jurisdiction where they occurred.
  • Financial Stability: The sponsoring spouse must meet certain income requirements to prove they can financially support their partner. This is usually verified through an Affidavit of Support.
  • Genuine Relationship: Immigration authorities will scrutinize the authenticity of your marriage. Be prepared to provide evidence that your relationship is bona fide and not merely for immigration benefits.
You can visit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for more information.

Application Process for Sponsoring a Spouse

The application process varies slightly depending on whether the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen or a Green Card holder.

For U.S. Citizens:

  • File Form I-130: The sponsoring spouse must submit a Petition for Alien Relative to establish the qualifying relationship.
  • Wait for Approval: Once the petition is approved, the foreign spouse can apply for a visa number.
  • Adjustment of Status: If the foreign spouse is already in the U.S., they can file Form I-485 to adjust their status to a permanent resident.

For Green Card Holders:

  • File Form I-130: Similar to U.S. citizens, the sponsoring spouse must submit a Petition for Alien Relative.
  • Wait for a Visa Number: Green Card holders usually have to wait longer for a visa number to become available.
  • Consular Processing: The foreign spouse may need to go through consular processing in their home country.

Required Documentation when sponsoring a spouse

The documentation required can be extensive and varies depending on individual circumstances. However, some of the most commonly required documents for sponsoring a spouse include:

  • Proof of Citizenship or Permanent Residency: This could be a U.S. passport, birth certificate, or Green Card.
  • Marriage Certificate: An official document proving the legality of your marriage.
  • Financial Documents: Tax returns, pay stubs, and other financial records to prove the sponsoring spouse can support the foreign spouse.
  • Evidence of Genuine Relationship: Photos, correspondence, and other proof that the marriage is authentic.
  • Medical Examination and Vaccination Records: The foreign spouse will need to undergo a medical examination by an approved panel physician.
  • Police Certificates: Required for the foreign spouse if they have lived in any country for more than six months since turning 16.
  • Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support): To establish that the sponsoring spouse can financially support the foreign spouse.

Navigating the immigration process can be overwhelming, but understanding these key aspects can make the journey smoother. It’s always advisable to consult with immigration experts to ensure that you’re meeting all requirements and deadlines.

Sponsoring a spouse for a Green Card is a significant commitment that comes with its own set of challenges and responsibilities. However, with the right information and guidance, it’s a manageable process. If you’re considering taking this important step, it’s crucial to be well-informed and prepared.

Have questions about sponsoring your spouse? Contact us for expert advice. The Law Offices of Connie Kaplan, P.A., is here to guide you through every step of the process, ensuring that you and your spouse can start building your life together in the United States as smoothly as possible. Contact us today and let us fight for your Immigration Dream as we fought for our own!

More from Family Immigration

Contact Us Today

No matter where you are, we can help!

Meet with us at the office or from the comfort of your home, through an online Strategy Session. We serve clients across the U.S. and from over 36 countries.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content